Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Day 2

Well, here it is the end of the third day of the week already (Day 2 of the month), and I haven't done much solid work so far this week. My bad. But salvation is at hand! I have a new Grand Master Plan.

But first, a little backgroud: I find it extremely difficult to get to a number of things on my task list -- mostly because these tasks are so boring (like cleaning house). I also, surprisingly enough, have a difficult time getting to fun stuff I actually want to do, like playing the piano. What to do? Launch a New Plan! And here it is:

The Plan is to allocate 15 minutes per task, or task category. So, if cleaning the house is on the list, get to it . . . for 15 mintes. Then off to the next task . . . for 15 minutes. This way, I should be able to get to everything on the list in a day, even if I don't finish everything. I can always circle back and put in more time on any given task, as surely some tasks will require more than 15 minutes to complete. But having the short time frame of only 15 minutes confronting my procrastinating consciousness, as opposed to the length of time it will take to actually finish the task, makes approaching the task and working on it a lot less intimidating. And therefore, a lot more likely to happen. Makes sense, no?

But the proof, as always, is in the pudding. So we'll see how I do with this plan. Unfortunately, I won't be able to launch the plan till Monday, five days hence, as I will be out of town the Fourth of July weekend (Thursday through Sunday). But come Monday, watch out Mess, I'm comin' to getcha!

No comments: